Concert at the Underground Saturday March 9th, 2013
The Underground, formally known as The Grounds, will host a band night on Saturday, March 9, 2013 from 7:30 pm – 10:30 pm. Come check out our new location in Crossroads Plaza across from the post office and under Harry’s Bishops Corner,
The Shoes from Hall
Travis Busch unplugged from Conard
The Evidence from Hall
Play video games on our new flat screen TV’s, ping pong, foosball, air hockey, pool, table bowling and more. Admission is free. The Underground is open to all West Hartford High School students and all West Hartford High School age students who attend high schools in other towns. School ID is required. Would you like to perform at The Underground, or do you know someone who would like to perform ?
If so, please e-mail The Undergroundat firstname.lastname@example.org
Please check the website again closer to March 9th for updated list of bands that are scheduled to perform
The Grounds is now the Underground
The Underground is located at 740 north main st
In bishops corner across from the post office (the old Tuesday Mornings)
The Grounds Reinvented…
It works like this:
HOW IT WORKS
- You plan your own invitation-only event at our space!
- party (no birthday parties or personal events)
- fashion show
- dance party
- We’ll give you $250 (must be spent on your event.. for example, DJ, bands, entertainment, pizzas, etc.)
- Create your invitations and give them to all of your friends and friends of friends in town (max 330). (Only West Hartford high school students with school id can attend.)
- Rearrange or decorate the space as you like (non-permanent decorations)
- Hold your event with our staff on site to support you in whatever capacity you need
- Keep a percentage of ticket sales as profit if you choose to charge an entrance fee
SOUNDS AMAZING… HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???
Firstly, it jives with the mission of the Grounds:
- A space to provide a safe drug-, alcohol-, and tobacco-free place for WH high school students to hang out
- Events by kids, for kids
The new format also continues to achieve other benefits that The Grounds has discovered in our time:
- Kids being ambitious about the projects they’re excited about
- Kids being responsible when given authority over themselves
- Kids supporting each other whole-heartedly
HOW DID THIS COME ABOUT?
When this idea was conceived it was the answer to many of the concerns held by the students we have heard from, both directly and indirectly. Those were:
- Grounds-hosted events were beginning to seem too “institutionally” run (by adults for kids, instead of by kids for kids)
- Kids want to hang out where they know THEIR friends will be
- Different kids have many different ideas about what a good event should be/have
- Kids mostly just go to each others’ get-togethers for fun anyway
It is with great honor for, and faith in, the kids in our community that we test this new formula, which positions The Grounds as merely the venue and staff for the great ideas that YOU, the high school students in town might dream up and have the ambition to put together. You’ll have our full support, including the freedom to make your events whatever you like. There are minimal, (obvious) ground rules relating to substances and maintaining our space. This is a good thing however, because they are easy to conform to, and they are what makes your event not only possible, but welcomed by the town. Meanwhile, you run the show completely independently as you wish.
Events will still be just once per month, but you can choose the date (Fri or Sat nights)
HOW TO BE A HOST
Contact us at email@example.com if you are interested in being the host of your own approved event. Here’s what we need (please answer ALL). If interest is high, there will likely be a waiting list, and some events might have to wait. The best thing you can do is be thorough with this information:
1. YOUR FULL NAME:
2. PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS:
3. HIGH SCHOOL:
4. GRADUATION YEAR:
5. EVENT TYPE (party, show, fundraiser, concert, etc.):
6. EVENT DESCRIPTION:
7. ABOUT HOW MANY INVITEES:
8. DESIRED MONTH OR DATE FOR YOUR EVENT:
9. WHO GETS PROCEEDS (if fundraiser):
10. WHAT YOU IMAGINE YOU’D PUT YOUR $250 CAPITAL TOWARD:
Come join our Facebook group to keep up to date with events!
Check out this article from West Hartford LIFE about The Grounds.